Parent Group (FTCO)
Carter G. Woodson has a Family-Teacher-Community Organization (FTCO) that organizes parent education workshops, recruits parent volunteers and engages in fundraising to support school programs.
- The FTCO chairperson serves on the Advisory Board of the University of Chicago Charter School.
- Parents actively participate in workshops on adolescent development and the parenting of adolescents.
- Parents design and teach X-block courses to students and participate in Oratory by presenting poems they wrote themselves.
Community Action Councils (CACs)
Community Action Councils, or CACs, consist of 25-30 voting members who are directly involved in developing a strategic plan for educational success within their communities. CAC members include parents; elected officials; faith-based institutions, health care and community-based organizations; Local School Council (LSC) members; business leaders; educators and school administrators; staff members from Chicago's Sister Agencies; community residents; and students.
There are nine CACs across Chicago. Each works to empower the community they serve to lead the improvement of local quality education. Specifically, they work to:
- Inform parents and community members about the performance and utilization of schools in their neighborhood and the priorities and initiatives of the CPS central office
- Engage community stakeholders in developing strategies to improve schools through regular meetings, sub-committees, and community dialogues
- Connect schools, students and families to various community resources
- Devise a strategic plan to improve their communities' educational opportunities
- Provide guidance in developing and recommending a community vision for a cradle-to-college/career pipeline to the CEO and the Board of Education
For more information on specific CACs or meeting dates, please contact the appropriate CAC liaison
2nd Monday of the month
All meetings begin @ 6:00pm at the Chicago Urban League (4510 S. Michigan Ave.)
- Hyde Park-Kenwood
4th Wednesday of the month
All meetings begin @6:00pm at Walter H. Dyett HS for the Arts (555 E. 51st St.)